I’ve had the chance to see several of San Diego’s top prospects in the last few weeks, the following are my observations.
- Rancho Bernardo Senior RHP Drew Finley, a USC-signee and former Cathedral Catholic Don, is ranked as the 22nd best prospect in the upcoming MLB Draft, according to ESPN’s Keith Law. Finley’s fastball ranges from 89-91 MPH and he has a very good curveball to go with it. Finley set a CIF-SDS record a few weeks back when he struck out 20 Ramona batters in a 7-inning game. Finley’s father, Dave, is the Vice President of Scouting for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Torrey Pines Senior C/RHP CJ Stubbs doesn’t have the same arsenal off the mound as fellow USC-signee Drew Finley, but has allowed only four earned runs in 41 innings this season with consecutive complete game shutouts against Rancho Bernardo and Poway in his last two outings. The future Trojan Catcher is the younger brother of current USC catcher Garrett Stubbs, who is hitting .365 in his senior season, and has earned the reputation as one of the premier defensive catchers in the country中国福利彩票正版app.
- Madison RHP Imani Abdullah, a San Diego State-signee has risen up draft boards with his performance so far in his senior season. I saw the future Aztec face La Jolla Country Day last week, but unfortunately Abdullah left the game after only two innings while battling the flu. His fastball sat at 87-89, though he has been clocked at as much as 92 mph so far this season when he’s been healthy. That’s always intriguing to scouts when it’s being done by a 6’5″ 18-year old with a nice frame. The Cubs, Rangers, Angels and several others were in attendance for that one, a 2-0 Madison victory.
- Santa Fe Christian has a pair of prospects in RHP Cole Acosta, a NC State-signee and 1B Dillon Paulson, a USC-signee. Acosta wasn’t at his sharpest on Friday against The Bishop’s School, but struck out three over five innings while allowing only two hits. His fastball sat at 88 MPH with his curveball at 71 MPH. Paulson continued his huge senior season with an RBI-ground rule double in the 1st inning, and added a single and intentional walk later in the game. Paulson has shown great discipline while being pitched around for much of the season. He’s hitting .450 with an OBP of .575 for the #2 team in the county. The Blue Jays were among several teams in attendance for this one.
- Poway 3B Tyler Nevin, a UCLA-signee is another one to watch for they upcoming MLB Draft. Nevin’s father, Phil, was the #1 overall pick in the ’92 draft and went on to play twelve years in the major leagues. Tyler missed his junior season after having Tommy John Surgery and has battled the flu recently, but scouts really like how projectable he is at third base. The Braves were in town to see Nevin against Torrey Pines on Saturday.
- Former Poway SS Kevin Newman (C/o 2012), now a junior at Arizona, has been ranked as the 2nd best prospect in the upcoming MLB Draft by ESPN’s Keith Law. Newman has lead the Cape Cod Summer league in batting average the past two seasons.